10.19.2008

The Other Side


I know it’s dark
Not quite what you expected
But it’s beautiful
No?

Yes, he breathed
in my ear, soft
and slow
It is
beautiful

I let the trace
of a smile tease
my lips, tease him
too.
You see it?

He nodded, enchanted.
A world away, on the
other side of
the black and
white

page

In a quiet room, roaring with
the music of staccato
words. He was
reading

My book
My heart
My soul

And he swore that
it was
his. I let the
trace of a smile tease
his lips

Black and white, wrong
and right, day and
night

Dark and light
On the other side
Of the black and
White

Page

7 comments:

Marcus Goodyear said...

This is wonderful! I love the rhyme at the end.

Merrie Destefano said...

Thanks, Mark! As the reigning king of poetry, your compliment means a lot!
: )

L.L. Barkat said...

And I like the rhythms throughout. Unexpected.

Bold too, which is refreshing.

Merrie Destefano said...

Thank you so much, L.L.!
Wow, props from two poetry greats. I'm blushing.

Seriously, L.L., I really appreciate your comments. Your poetry glistens.

Blessings,
Merrie

sojourner said...

Hi! I came over through barkat and then through random acts of poetry.
My book
My heart
My soul
picked up a lovely pace that spilled me into the final page. Great movement!

Merrie Destefano said...

Sojouner,
Thank you so much for stopping by and for your wonderful comment.

Yes, I was trying to show how writing can captivate a reader, and almost enchant them. So the fact that the poem changes toward the end was supposed to communicate that by that time the reader was hooked, and there was no turning back.

Random Acts of Poetry.
Perhaps we should all write another poem.
: )

L.L. Barkat said...

Merrie, you are funny.

And this is funny too. I loved your poem, but I wasn't quite getting what it was about. When Mark explained it over at RAP I thought... of course!

How silly of me not to see it. I was just lost in the words. Liking them. Letting them roll over me.