9.01.2007

The Safe Zone



I’m back in the safe zone again, the beginning. Where everything makes sense, where all the words flow like liquid silver. I like it here. I wish I could stay. But I have to go back, to the unknown frontier. That place where the universe falls off the end of a blank white page, where there are no more black and white word-markers to guide the way.

I like it here, at the start, that brittle-deep beginning, where the characters are fresh. But the fabric of their existence folds and unfolds in my hands. It can’t lay still or it will turn into a moth-eaten garment, a thing of no value.

I must continue weaving their story, splaying their passion and their peril with my words.

Right now, the whole world balances on that space between my fingertips and my keyboard.

No comments: