8.20.2007

The Complete Guide to Writers Groups That Work: Part Two



Today we are continuing our interview with B.J. Taylor, a talented writer who recently published The Complete Guide to Writers Groups That Work.



[Here's a photo of B.J. and me at the recent Mount Hermon Writer's Conference.]

MD: How will this book help other writers?

BJ: You can be a successful author. You can reach your goals. Whether you are a new or experienced writer, you will benefit from the stimulating environment of a writers group. All writers need cheerleaders. They need someone to celebrate with when they have reached a goal and they need group members they can commiserate with when their hopes are temporarily dashed. This book will take you step-by-step through WHO should be in your group and how to find them, WHEN and WHERE to hold meetings, and WHAT to do when you gather.

MD: Who has most inspired you as a writer?

BJ: The person who has most inspired me as a writer is Kay Marshall Strom. She is the author of more than 30 books in several different languages, a screenplay, and books written for others where she acted as the ghostwriter. Kay is a much sought after speaker at numerous writing conferences and events, and is a positive role model. Her desire to help other writers rubbed off on me long ago.

MD: Where can people purchase the book?

BJ: The book can be purchased through Infinity Books and here.

[Since we're on the Alien Dream site, I have to ask my two favorite questions.]

MD: What do aliens dream about?
BJ: Earth people.

[Good answer.]

MD: Where will you be in 10,000 years?
BJ: In heaven working with the angels.

[Even better answer. Me too!]

Thanks, B.J. Tomorrow, we'll get to read an excerpt from her book. Stay tuned. Same bat time. Same bat channel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sallie and Merrie,

Merrie, I loved answering your questions--particularly the ones about what aliens dream about and where I will be in 10,000 years.

But both you and Sallie have got it wrong (see the first post and comments). It wasn't me who encouraged you--it was you who encouraged me. Without you guys and the meetings every three weeks, writing would become eclipsed from my world. Life just gets in the way of our passions sometimes. But having that commitment to each other and to the craft--well, anything can happen. Even dreams can come true!

Love,
B.J.

Merrie Destefano said...

B.J.,
Is it the chicken or the egg? Encouragement is a cyclical process, isn't it. I know in our writing group, we all take turns mentoring and encouraging one another.

And B.J., I really liked what you said about Kay Marshall Strom. She's a busy lady with lots of writing credits, and yet her desire to help other writers has caused you to want to do the same thing. I think we all have mentoring opportunities, no matter where we are in our publishing careers. Responding to those opportunities can make a big difference in someone else's life.

Anonymous said...

Kay Strom has certainly encouraged me to reach out to others. I'll be speaking at the Yosemite Writers Conference this weekend, Aug. 24-26 (www.yosemitewriters.com). Writing Anthology Stories With Soul and Writing for Guideposts Magazine are the two classes I'll be teaching. I'll also be on a panel where writers can ask questions about How to Stand Out in the Nonfiction Market. I'm excited! If you of you attend, stop me and say hello.
B.J.

Merrie Destefano said...

Awesome, B.J.

Those workshops sound really interesting! You'll have to take notes from the Yosemite Writers Conference and stop back and tell us about it later.