8.21.2007

The Continuing Legend of the Firefish



Here’s what I think happened…
One night, mild-mannered George Bryan Polivka went to bed. He was supposed to dream about aliens. All nice people do. But somehow the wires inside his brain got crossed.

He dreamed about a Firefish instead. Now, I agree, a monstrous seacreature is almost like an alien, but almost is never quite the same thing.

One horrible event led to another, and before you know it, poor George had signed a contract for three books with Harvest House Publishers. Well, there was little hope for him after that.

One dream about a seacreature led to anther. I bet the poor sweet man could barely sleep for months. Then the dream evolved and began to include pirates. After that it got worse and worse. There was danger around every corner, and nary an alien to be seen anywhere.

I think he may have tried to salvage his sanity by writing it all down, hence the entrance of Harvest House—a desperate attempt to save the dear man.

And in the end, all this turmoil and restless waking dreams led to a book of dastardly adventures called The Legend of the Firefish.

I don’t know if it is safe to read this book. It may make you dream of seacreatures (instead of aliens). It may make you want to read the next book in the series. It may make you stay up late at night, reading when you should be dreaming.

I just hope you will all say a quick prayer for poor, sweet George. He may have accidentally written a best-seller when he was supposed to be taking a nap.

6 comments:

Becca Johnson said...

ROFL! I have to say, this is the best review I have ever read! I loved it! Good job, Merrie! :D I wish I could think of stuff like this. :)

This is a great new blog! I'm adding it to my list on mine. :)

Becca Johnson

Merrie Destefano said...

You are so sweet, Becca!

And definitely come back. It gets lonely here all by myself, just me and a wily bunch of aliens and pirates.

Arrrgghhh!

:)

UKSteve said...

That is a terrible fate to befall a man. I count my blessings that I have not yet had the same misfortune, and still manage to nap when I should be writing a bestseller.

Merrie Destefano said...

Steve,
Yes, naps are valuable. We can't have pirates or aliens or fish interfering with sleep.

Blessings on your Old Testament Space Opera blog--it just doesn't get much cooler than that!
:)

D. G. D. Davidson said...

Uh oh. I typically dream of nightmarish fantasy creatures rather than aliens. What does that make me?

In fact, the last mecha space opera dream I can remember only involved combat-enhanced mutants, not aliens! Someone help me!

Merrie Destefano said...

LOL, D.G.D.! What is it about sci-fi and humor? They just seem to go together so well ...

But you've come to the right place.

The experts at AD recommend two vintage Star Trek episodes and a glass of chocolate milk before going to bed. If this doesn't give you dreams of aliens, it will at least keep those wacky "combat-enhanced mutants" at bay.

Best wishes on all your sci-fi writing and watch out for mutants that go bump in the night.

:)